Monday, November 15, 2010

Super simple meal in minutes

Putting food on the table is part of my "motherly" duty. Do I love spending time in the kitchen? Not necessarily. Am I a good cook? My husband would say yes so that's all that matters. There's absolutely nothing elaborate about the meals I put on the table. In all honesty, my husband would eat chicken and vegetables every night of the week and be completely satisfied. So long as it errors on the "healthy" side and we're all sitting at the table together, he's content. This has definitely hindered any motivation to branch out and try new meals. I probably have about 10-15 meals we love and I just rotate between those. Boring huh? I've tried the whole concept of trying a new recipe/week. Flipping through cookbook after cookbook to find a meal that all three of us would actually eat was draining. Plus it doesn't seem worth it to me to spend a lot of money on 20 different ingredients and new spices for one meal I'm not sure we are going to even like.

We usually don't get home from the gym until 7:00'ish so I need meals that are quick and easy. My husband is anti- take out/fast food during the week so it's always a scramble as to what I'm going to throw on the table. Some of my best work in the kitchen happens when I'm forced to get creative. Specifically when I'm in a time crunch and/or in dire need of a grocery run. Last night was one of those nights....

I stood in front of my refrigerator trying to concoct something from the little ingredients I had to work with. What I came up with: Extra Lean Ground Turkey, Can of 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom Soup, sliced mushrooms and white rice. Although I winged it at the time, I'm sure there is a recipe out there that is similar. Surprisingly, the meal was on table in 15 minutes and was deliciously m-mm-good!

If you're looking for some quick and easy new meals, give this a try. You can take this same meal and improvise many different ways - swap out the rice for pasta. Serve it over Ciabatta rolls (a new twist on Sloppy Joes). Put it in a wrap. Mix in the vegetable of your choice. Use Cream of Chicken soup instead of Cream of Mushroom. Use chicken instead of ground turkey.

Turkey & Rice Slop:
1 - 10 oz. can of 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom soup
Package of Jenny-O EXTRA LEAN Ground Turkey
Sliced mushrooms
1/4 C. Skim milk
Salt/Pepper to taste

Cook rice in rice cooker. On stove top, brown the ground turkey. When cooked thoroughly - turn heat to medium and add soup, milk, mushrooms and desired amount of salt & pepper. Let mixture heat up, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes then serve over cooked rice. Enjoy!!

Side notes:

The Jenny-O Regular Ground Turkey has 220 calories, 17 grams of fat per serving. The "Lean - 93/7" Ground Turkey has 170 calories, 8 grams of fat per serving. The "Extra Lean" Ground Turkey has 120 calories, 1.5 grams of fat per serving. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE EXTRA LEAN!

Best place to buy the Extra Lean Ground Turkey is at Target. If you're local Target has added the grocery store, you're in luck! The turkey at Target is $5.49 vs. $7.99 at Von's/Safeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment